How to Make ATM Deposits
Be prepared ahead of time if you need an envelope or deposit slip. Figure out what you need to do with them before you put your card in the machine (and hold up the line). Some banks do not require that you use a deposit slip or envelope when making ATM deposits.
- Go to the machine, insert your debit card, and enter your PIN number.
- Choose the on-screen option for deposits.
- Choose the account you want to deposit to.
- Enter the amount of your deposit if necessary. Some ATMs can figure out how much you’re depositing and they won’t ask.
- Slip the envelope, checks, or cash into the ATM.
- Wait for confirmation and your receipt. Make sure your session has ended and that your account is no longer accessible before you walk away.
Pitfalls of ATM Deposits
Before you make ATM deposits, make sure you know what you’re getting into (and be sure to compare ATM deposits with mobile deposits made with your smartphone -- you might not even need to leave the house). The next page covers a few of the potential problems with making deposits at ATMs.