1. Money
Justin Pritchard

ING Direct Becomes Capital One 360

By February 14, 2013

You probably know that Captial One bought ING Direct in 2012. Since then, not much has changed. However, I recently noticed something new when logging into my account: as of this month, the re-branding campaign is completed and there are almost no signs of the old ING Direct brand (if this happened long before February 2013, maybe I don't log in often enough).

Attempted visits www.INGDirect.com are redirected to www.CapitalOne360.com. The website looks and feels similar (with some of the same menus), but the colors have changed.

What else is different? Luke Landes at Consumerism Commentary highlights two notable differences. First, customers can deposit checks with a mobile device (this has been around for a few months now, but it is surprising that ING Direct didn't offer the service sooner). In addition, customers have more places to get cash for free; the ATM network has expanded.

Otherwise, the acquisition is hardly noticeable. Rates are similar, and Capital One took over ING Direct's existing customer service department.

Have you noticed any major changes? Tell us about them in the comments.

Comments
February 18, 2013 at 10:34 am
(1) Marcia Harol says:

I can no longer access my account and was unable to reach a person by phone!

March 25, 2013 at 12:54 pm
(2) Angela says:

It took two days and four phone numbers given to me by Capitalone360 to locate the loan department. That was very frustrating because I needed to re-modify my loan. However, someone did call me today. In case you are looking for the loan department, the number is (855) 777- 2645:)

March 26, 2013 at 7:06 pm
(3) banking says:

Thank you Angela. This is helpful.

April 22, 2013 at 7:53 pm
(4) Shirley says:

I don’t get it. I just saw and ING commercial on TV 2 days ago. I thought there’s no ING. Or just some account got sold to Capital?

April 23, 2013 at 9:31 am
(5) banking says:

Shirley,

ING is still in business but they got rid of the online bank. They will also be re-branding some other lines of business (retirement plans for example).

August 18, 2013 at 11:54 am
(6) Gene Glander says:

I recently called Capital One by phone to make a withdrawl from my savinge account, because I was having trouble getting on-line that day. The transaction went through alright but I didn,t think it was right to be asked to set up different ways to repay what I withdrew. These savings are there for when I need them, and will deposit more into my account when I can and see fit.