This page is an overview of all of the different parts of a check. In following pages, we’ll focus on each individual part and look more closely at what that part is for. The descriptions below correspond to the blue numbers in the image above.
1. Personal information about you, the account owner
2. Payee line. Who the check is payable to
3. The dollar box The amount of the check in numerical format
4. The amount of your check written out using words instead of numbers
5. Memo line for an unofficial note
6. Date line
7. Signature line
8. Your bank’s contact information and/or logo
9. Your bank’s ABA routing number
10. Your account number at your bank
11. Check number (note that this appears in two places)
12. Your bank’s fractional number
These pages mostly describe the parts of a check, along with a few hints on filling out each part. If you're just looking for a quick lesson on how to write a check, see our step-by-step tutorial, or watch a video that describes the process. We also have a short video available that describes the most important parts of a check.