Types of ACH Debit Service
There are a few different types of ACH debit services. Some service providers automatically take money from your account each month if you sign up for their ACH debit program. They initiate the transfer and you do nothing. Others allow you to transfer money only when you want to - so you’re in control of when ACH debits take place.
Benefits of ACH Debit
Making payments with ACH debit makes your life easier. By signing up for the service, you can let things happen automatically and electronically. You’re more likely to pay important bills on time, so you reduce the risk of messing up your credit.
- No need to remember to make payments
- No need to write checks
- No need to get payments in the mail and pay postage
- No need to wait for the postal service to deliver items or worry about lost items
- Easier to track payments since payee names appear on your bank statement or financial software
- Easier on the environment
Pitfalls of ACH Debit
While ACH debit is an excellent choice for some of your most important bills, there are a few drawbacks:
- You hand over access to and information about your bank account
- A business accidentally bill the wrong amount
- You might overdraw your account if you don’t keep enough money available, or if the business bills too much
- You may forget what you’re paying for if you don’t actually see the bills come through